Meet Skin Accumax®, a nutritional supplement designed for acne-prone skin and made with a patented formula of powerful skin ingredients.
When jane iredale launched Skin Accumax® in 2014, there were quite a few Iredale employees who were reluctant to embrace it. I was one of them. Perhaps it was because, historically, many skincare and vitamin supplements designed for acne have been known to deliver nominal results at best. Their potency and efficacy have often been questioned. Some skeptics have even gone so far as to compare the acne supplement industry to snake oil. When I brought these concerns up to Jane personally at our national sales meeting, she looked me square in the face and said. “Just wait.” Soon after that, the astonishing “before and after” images started rolling in and the results could no longer be debated. Skin Accumax® worked even better than anyone could have ever expected. As the first skincare supplement ever launched at Iredale Cosmetics, it paved the way to the rich portfolio of skincare solutions we now offer, and it still stands as a best seller within our brand. Let’s look at why this extraordinary product has been so successful for us.
To preface this information, it is important to know that our skincare supplements are produced through a company in the UK called Advanced Nutrition Programme. They are a world leader in digestible beauty, and they have set the global benchmark for quality through their four Ps – Potency, Purity, Production, and Packaging. This is the first product that we’ve ever sold at jane iredale that we don’t actually make. This also means that jane iredale is the exclusive distributor for ANP in the United States. We’re very proud of this relationship.
What Causes Acne?
When ANP decided to create this vitamin supplement for acne and problem skin, they wanted to do it in a way that would address acne from all aspects. To explain this concept, we must first look at the four pillars of acne. These pillars are the conditions that allow acne to thrive. They are:
- Hyperkeratinization – When skin cells cease to exfoliate, they collect on the surface of the skin creating thick layers of dead skin. This is known as disjuncture. It prevents oxygen from getting down into the skin and it traps oil underneath that mixes with the dead skin cells which in turn creates plugs that clog the skin.
- Sebum Overproduction – When the skin produces too much sebum, it can congest the skin. Acneic sebum often becomes more viscose (thicker and stickier) due to hormonal imbalances which makes it even more likely to clog pores.
- Acne Bacteria – When the pore or follicle is clogged and no oxygen can get in, bacteria will thrive. For acneic skin, a particular kind of bacteria we call P Acne or Propionibacterium will grow. They feed on the dead skin and sebum, multiply and secrete waste.
- Inflammation – As P Acne bacteria multiply and secrete waste, the pore or follicle must swell to make room for them. Redness and irritation follow which we recognize as inflammation. This is your body’s response to the infection.
Once the problem has started, it becomes self-facilitating. Because this condition is systemic, it cannot be cured through just treating the symptoms. Squeezing blemishes or treating them with harsh drying products only seems to exacerbate the condition. In the past there have been medical treatments which have shown results, but the side effects are often so severe that they outweigh the benefits of these solutions. We needed something effective enough to address the causes of the infection but without all of the side effects. This is where Skin Accumax® defined itself.
Which Vitamins are in Skin Accumax®?
Understanding the causes of acne was an important basis for properly treating it. Skin Accumax® combines a proprietary mixture of Vitamins A, C, E and Diindolylmethane — a powerhouse phytonutrient that our bodies produce naturally when we chew cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. These ingredients work synergistically to address the four pillars of acne and each ingredient has its own specific benefits. Here’s the breakdown:
- Vitamin A comes from Retinyl Palmitate which is an excellent form of Vitamin A to use because it does not cause redness and irritation. Its benefits are immense in that it balances sebum so skin is less oily. It also increases skin cell turnover to address hyperkeratinization. As an added benefit, it stimulates blood circulation which aids in healing the skin.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which stimulates collagen production. It acts as a helper to the Vitamin A but most importantly, it addresses redness and inflammation.
- Vitamin E is another antioxidant that works synergistically with vitamins A and C helping to improve circulation and repair tissue. Vitamin E is also soothing to the skin.
- Diindolylmethane, also known as DIM, is the key to Skin Accumax®’s powerful results. DIM regulates hormone metabolism, which in turn, balances and normalizes the sebum. By normalizing sebum, it prevents follicles and pores from clogging. Without such congestion, P Acne bacteria cannot survive. Our DIM is a patented version that was created for physicians.
What Skin Types are Suitable for Skin Accumax®?
ANP’s indications for this supplement covers all forms of Acne including Adult and Hormonal Acne, Severe Oiliness, Breakouts and Enlarged Pores. This means that you don’t have to have severe acne to get the benefits of this product. If you’re more prone to breakouts at specific times of the month, or if you’ve only started to develop acne symptoms recently, you can still take Skin Accumax® and see benefits.
How to Take Skin Accumax®
A commonly asked question is “how much should I take and for how long?” Consistent, long term use of Skin Accumax® has shown promising changes to the skin. Our recommended dosage is: 2 capsules twice a day with meals. Most people take two with breakfast and two with dinner. Once the skin clears up, you can drop the dosage down from four to two per day (with meals). If the acne returns, you’ll want to increase your dosage again.
How Soon Can You Expect to See Results?
Because our bodies tend to direct nutrients to our internal organs first, our skin has a tendency to get things last. This means that most people who take Skin Accumax® will not see results immediately. We urge you not to give up after a few weeks! Skin Accumax® must be taken for an average of 14 weeks before you see optimal results. And it is not uncommon to see a purge or severe breakout at the 10-week period right before your skin clears up completely.
Consult Your Physician
One last important point: We always recommend consulting a physician before giving Skin Accumax® to anyone under 16 years of age or to women who are pregnant or nursing. This is because clinical trials for supplements on children and pregnant and nursing women are considered unethical. This rule applies to all supplements and brands. But you’ll be happy to know that, in our experience, doctors rarely discourage use. We also recommend consulting a physician if you are taking prescription medication such as blood thinners as some doctors will discourage use of Vitamin A based products with certain medications.
Start the Journey to Healthier Skin
Skin Accumax® has been a game changer for so many people and we hope you are as delighted with it as we are. If you decide you would like to try Skin Accumax®, we encourage you to take some before and after images and send them to us!
Learn more by visiting our comprehensive guide on Skin Accumax® and start your journey today. We can’t wait to see your results.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any thoughts or concerns. At jane iredale, we’re always happy to answer your questions and to hear your feedback.